Here at Perfect Image Consultants, we have a range of acne treatment from laser to take-home treatment. We also have treatments for acne scare reduction available.
What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that affects most people at some point. It causes spots, oily skin and sometimes skin that’s hot or painful to touch.
Acne most commonly develops on the: face, back and chest.
Acne is caused when tiny holes in the skin, known as hair follicles, become blocked.
Sebaceous glands are tiny glands found near the surface of your skin. The glands are attached to hair follicles, which are small holes in your skin that an individual hair grows out of.
More about Acne
If the plugged follicle is close to the surface of the skin, it bulges outwards, creating a whitehead Alternatively, the plugged follicle can be open to the skin, creating a blackhead.
Normally harmless bacteria that live on the skin can then contaminate and infect the plugged follicles, causing papules, pustules, nodules or cysts.Book a Consultation
Types of Acne Spots
There are six main types of spots caused by acne:
- blackheads – small black or yellowish bumps that develop on the skin; they’re not filled with dirt but are black because the inner lining of the hair follicle produces pigmentation (colouring)
- whiteheads – have a similar appearance to blackheads, but may be firmer and won’t empty when squeezed
- papules – small red bumps that may feel tender or sore
- pustules – similar to papules, but have a white tip in the centre, caused by a build-up of pus
- nodules – large hard lumps that build up beneath the surface of the skin and can be painful
- cysts – the most severe type of spots caused by acne; they’re large pus-filled lumps that look similar to boils and carry the greatest risk of causing permanent scarring